Difference between Physical and Chemical Properties:
What is physical properties?
Physical properties are these that may be noticed and measured with out altering the precise composition of the matter. The chemical and molecular composition stays the identical whatever the measurement methodology that’s used.
Any property that may be detected and measured with out performing a chemical response is thus a bodily property.
Physical modifications can happen, e.g. change of states, however this solely modifications the bodily form not the chemical construction or molecular composition of the substance. As an illustration, when water freezes, the chemical nature of the water doesn’t change, so freezing level is one other bodily property.
States of matter can also be a bodily property since all substances can exist in a stable, liquid or gasoline section relying on power loss or acquire.
The identical aspect is current after the change and all through the method. Physical modifications are associated to bodily properties.
Physical properties may be in depth or intensive:
- In depth –will depend on the quantity of matter being measured, for example, mass, quantity, and size.
In depth properties are exterior, that’s the substance can’t be recognized utilizing these and the worth modifications relying on the quantity of the substance current. For instance you may measure 10g of oil or 10g of water however this doesn’t allow you to establish a substance as being oil or water.
- Intensive – don’t rely on the quantity of matter being measured, for example: colour, density, viscosity, buoyancy, melting level, freezing level.
Intensive properties are all the time the identical and can be utilized to establish what a substance is. E.g. density of liquid water is 1g/ml, boiling level is 100oC and freezing level is zerooC.
Utilizing a number of intensive properties collectively permits one to establish a substance. Substances may also be categorised and grouped based mostly on their bodily properties.
Examples of physical properties embrace:
- Electrical cost
- Molecular weight
- Boiling level
- Melting level
- Freezing level
- Electrical cost
What is chemical properties:
A chemical property by definition implies that measuring the property results in a change within the precise chemical construction of the substance. Chemical properties change into obvious when the substance undergoes a chemical change or response.
Chemical properties describe the power of a substance to mix with different substances, or develop into a unique product. It’s a technique to describe what a substance might react with or find yourself turning into. When a chemical response happens, matter modifications to a completely completely different kind of matter.
As an illustration sodium can react with water vapor within the air and violently explode; iron and oxygen mix to kind rust so iron has the chemical capability to kind rust; gasoline has the power to burn (it’s flammable).
A chemical property is any high quality that may be established solely when a change is made within the chemical id of the substance. Merely touching or observing a substance won’t exhibit its chemical properties. The construction of the matter or substance must be modified to be able to see the chemical property.
Chemical properties are helpful to know since this helps within the identification of unknown substances or when making an attempt to separate or purify substances, and can allow scientists to categorise substances comparable to compounds.
Understanding these properties, scientists can give you purposes the place numerous substances can be utilized.
Scientists are additionally in a position to predict how samples will react in a chemical response if they’ve prior information of the substances’ chemical properties.
Some examples of chemical properties embrace the next:
- Chemical stability (if a compound will react with water or air)
- Warmth of combustion
- Flammability (whether or not compound will burn when uncovered to flame)
- Reactivity (capability to react with different chemical substances)
- Enthalpy of formation
- Oxidation states (gaining oxygen, shedding hydrogen, or shedding electrons, and ensuing within the oxidation variety of a substance being modified. An instance of this might be rust).
- Kinds of chemical bonds that may kind (whether or not covalent, noncovalent or hydrogen)
- Radioactivity (emission of radiation from an atom)
What is the distinction between bodily and chemical properties?
- Physical properties are these properties that may be noticed or measured with out
inflicting or leading to a change within the matter, whereas chemical properties are solely noticed after a change within the matter has occurred.
- Physical properties can change states with out altering the molecular construction, however this isn’t the case for chemical properties.
- With chemical properties the chemical id of the substance is modified, this isn’t the case with bodily properties.
- With chemical properties the construction of the fabric modifications, whereas the construction doesn’t change within the case of bodily properties.
- A chemical response happens earlier than a chemical property turns into evident, whereas no chemical response is required for a bodily property to change into seen.
- Chemical properties, in contrast to bodily properties, can be utilized to foretell how substances will react.
Physical Properties and chemical properties Comparison Chart:
|Physical property||Chemical property|
|Noticed with out bringing a couple of change||Solely noticed after bringing a couple of change|
|Can change bodily state however not molecules||All the time modifications molecules|
|Chemical id stays the identical||Chemical id modifications|
|Construction of fabric doesn’t change||Construction of fabric modifications|
|No chemical response is required to point out the property||Chemical response is required to point out property|
|Can’t be used to foretell how substances will react||Can be utilized to foretell how substances will react|
- Physical properties may be noticed with out having to endure any change within the matter.
- Physical properties can range relying on the quantity of matter, for example, size, quantity and mass. These are often known as in depth bodily properties.
- Intensive bodily properties don’t rely on the quantity of matter, e.g. texture.
- Physical properties can change states however nonetheless retain the identical chemical construction, e.g. water freezing or boiling.
- Chemical properties can solely be noticed with a change, comparable to a chemical response.
- Matter is assessed each based mostly on their bodily and chemical properties.